Friday, August 29, 2008

Katrina - 3 years later

Enjoying seafood gumbo, boiled shrimp, and crawfish
The moss trees located all over the city
Relaxing on Lake Ponchatrain - located 1 block from our old home!
Hubby being greeted by local yard dog!

A local home still marked with the marking to check for dead bodies
Drive up alcohol...why our car insurance was so expensive!
Best friend Sam of 18 years. The sister I never had!
My second set of parents...my aunt Kathy and uncle Tommy!
The home I grew up in, that I later purchased - Chunky's first home!

Today marks the 3rd anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. To be honest, I would not have remembered or payed attention to today's date, but the latest hurricane headed to New Orleans on the news caught my attention. What sent the message home, today when I called the funeral home to clear up some final details, the lady just laughed at me and said everything was locked up and they were preparing to evacuate. How quickly I forgot what its like to live in a flood zone. The funeral home is actually located in the city that was the hardest hit. Where all of the homes were covered with water up to the roof. I often forget about the after effects of Katrina, but then I am reminded by things, like when I originally called the funeral home earlier this month, they told me that all of the original papers had been flooded including original signatures. I/We take so many things for granted. For example...our health. When I look back 3 years ago today, my uncle was working 3 jobs as a Sgt. in the fire department, a Sgt. for the police department, and for the Emergency Medical Services. Yesterday, he was admitted to a nursing home at age 54 due to complications of a neck/spinal problem. He was one of the few that stayed during Katrina to help others. For days, he and my aunt worked in the 911 bldg with very limited supplies with a few dedicated others. Because they followed us to Lafayette, they lost their health insurance and I wonder if it were not for the storm, would he have been able to receive better medical care by having insurance or at the least be closer to his family and friends during this trying time. Speaking of friends, one of the good things that has come from this storm is the many wonderful friends that I have made in Lafayette. I can not say enough about them. These wonderful women have made my transition from big city girl to Midwest mom much easier than expected. Have I mentioned lately how much I am enjoying all of the fresh vegetables here, and the wonderful seasons. I can't wait until fall! I also feel very blessed because I have been placed by God in a wonderful job where I can be very creative and share the love of God every day with beautiful children. I could not ask for a better career at this point in my life. But, in saying this, I still miss my friends back home very much. Some I have been friends with for 18 years and were very big parts of my life. I also miss my nieces and nephews and extended family. I miss the care free culture and yes I still miss the food! So I ask that you say a prayer for all of the people in New Orleans tonight that they may be spared another disaster. I have decided to post some pics from our recent trip in Feb. to New Orleans!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So true. I miss home very much, but glad I am not there now going through yet another disaster. Thanks for the comments. Love you! Nanny

Jessica said...

Being home sick...bites! Though we'd be Kristy sick if you left us. Girl...hang in there!

amy f. said...

Thank you for sharing the New Orleans pictures. 3 years, wow. I'm glad you got to go back and visit recently. We're so glad you're here now, Kristy. I have been thinking about everyone down there a LOT this weekend. Love you :-)