Thursday, June 19, 2008

Firefly Fun

I am normally not just hanging out at night outside. However, tonight while chatting on the phone with one of my favorite people, I was sitting outside on the porch swing and noticed all of the firefly out tonight. Now some of you may think, big deal. But, what you must realize is that there are no fireflys in New Orleans. In all of my childhood, I can honestly say I have seen one. Every summer since I have been in Lafayette (all 3 of them) it makes me so happy to see them. Yes, I know it does not take much to make me happy. So, at 10:00 p.m. tonight, instead of putting Chunky to bed, I strapped on his sandals and took him outside to catch his first firefly. He had so much fun and did not want to go back in! We caught one and turned off all of the lights and the kitchen. I wish I would have caught it on film. Oh well, I am sure I will have many other chances. My neighbor was also out with her kids doing the same thing. I hope to make this a summer tradition.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I love the light show from firefly's. I've had a different view of them this year. I looked out the kids bedroom window one night(2nd story of the home) and looked down at the field...it was an amazing sight. The field was light up, a visual light show. I love catching things at a new angle.

Renay said...

We call em' lightning bugs where I'm from but I noticed them tonight too...how weird;-)

amy f. said...

What a fun moment for you and Chunky to experience together. I gotta tell you....it is SO hard for me to call him Chunky? I keep wanting to type his name and Chunky does not come naturally for me.

Anyway, you have a porch swing???

How was the Taste? We could see the fireworks vaguely from our bedroom window.