Friday, June 6, 2008

Now Hiring

Okay, so as many of you know...I am multitalented. Just kidding, but I can spout off a lot of aquired skills that I have picked up over the years. Today marks the 1 year anniversary of working for the preschool. For some, this may not be a big deal. For me, this is a huge event as you will soon see how staying with one company for a long time is really unheard of. Just a side note before my humerous, yet quite long list of jobs I have held since age 16. Before I started working for what I like to call my "real jobs"....I have been babysitting since age 11 and volunteering since age 12. My volunteer rolls included working in Maternal Fetal Medicine, Pediatric Oncology, and Adult and Pediatric Aids fields. On my college acceptance letter, the admittance lady commented she had never had a applicant with so many volunteer hours before. I volunteered for the New Orleans AIDS Task Force for 3 years and loved every minute of it. I was the youngest volunteer there and paved the way for many others. I also used to answer the phones for the National Hotline. (This was when AIDS was not as common 1993).
Okay...now onto the work force
My very first Job was at Lerners New York. I also worked at KB Toys and Blockbuster during high school. In college, they placed me to work as a assistant in a computer lab (what they were thinking, I have no clue)! After my first stint in college, I worked for a patent company starting out as a Administrative Assistant and got promoted to a Client Services Coordinator. This company was later shut down and the president I think is still in jail. Oh yeah, my boss was sleeping with the 17 yr old delivery guy but dating the Vice President of the company. I became a pro at how to handle these type of phone calls. Moving On. I once sold TriStar vacuums. They cost $2200. And people purchased them from me...can you believe that? While looking for jobs...I also became a pizza maker and a deli worker for very short periods of time. I then went to work for 911. Started as a operator/promoted to dispatcher (4 computers at one time). Second Time around in college....I worked for a Fine Arts dealer selling Armani sculptures for ridiculous prices, then worked for Applebees and a Seafood restuarant. I also worked for Home Depot...started as a cashier, then promoted to blinds/wallpaper, then moved to in home design.
Next came probably my favorite job. I was the department head of a Alternative Therapies Clinic in a major hospital. This was the first hospital in New Orleans to have one and I got to try out all different types of therapies (like acupuncture, yoga, meditation, hypnotherapy.) Basically, I got paid to do yoga and have massage therapist test their skills on me. At this time, I was also working as a Medical Massage Therapist in another hospital wellness center. And working for a Spa and local hotels doing Massage Therapy. Then, because the recruiter spiked my coffee....I joined the Army. I was stationed in South Carolina, Texas, and then New Orleans. So...as a soldier, I was really good at shooting M16s, really good at medical stuff, and really bad at throwing hand grenades and shooting rocket launchers. Go figure! I worked as a medic and shared my time between Med Surg and ER. Which led to 3 years working in the Emergency Room (My next favorite job). On a side note, the first time I did CPR...I cracked all of the guys ribs! Then I worked as a what they called a "triage nurse" for a OB/GYN office. Basically calling in scripts for doctors and screening doc phone calls. Along comes Hurricane Katrina and then I am trying to go from a city with 15 pages of Job Classifieds to 2 pages of Job Classifieds in Lafayette. First job here....Dialysis Technician (Hated It), then photographer, then sales at Kohls, then Secretary at Vet office. Third to last, Job Coach for Special Needs High School Kids (Loved It) which led to Summer Camp counselor, which led to Preschool Teacher (Still love It). I get paid to blow bubbles and play basketball, and I still have 2 hours to read while they nap. And the bonus is Chunky is right down the hall whenever I miss him. So now that you know almost all of my jobs because really I am sure I am forgetting a few....go ahead and start typing. YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO MAKE FUN OF ME AND IT IS OKAY!!!!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

WOW! Kristy, you are an amazing woman! You can do anything you set your mind to. I'm proud to call you my friend. (I'm kind of thinking I could benifit from one or more of you talents too, so I better call you friend.) You know I love ya. :))

When can we do tea again??

Renay said...

Impressive...or is it? He, he.

I can't believe that list...triage nurse-seriously? You aren't an RN (or nurse at all) right?

Was your coffee really spiked?

So, are you ready for a new adventure yet or are the kids stuck with you for a while longer?

Thanks for the fun reference history;-)

amy f. said...

Oh, what to say about this post, what to say!! I really would like to think of something witty and smart-alecky in true Amy fashion, but I'm kinda beat.

I will say though that the many jobs you have held are all the more reason why you are the perfect friend to "just be there." If I ever need advice regarding: a vacuum, purchasing expensive sculptures, what to order at Applebee's, how to put up blinds, or if I ever find myself holding an M16, I know which friend I'll call :-) You know I'm kidding. I love you and your multi-talented self.

Mari said...

That is a pretty impressive list! Jack of all trades, huh?!! It was very exciting for me to learn that about you! I hope we can get together to walk again soon! I really enjoyed our conversation that day and can't wait to do it again!